Saturday 23 March 2013

Being Human, Being Over

First of all, let me say WAAAHHHHHH!

Thank you.

Secondly, let me also say that this will contain spoilers if you aren't up to date with the latest, and final, series of Being Human.

Right, here we go.

I only started watching Being Human a year ago. It was one of those shows that friends would assume I watched and when I told them I wasn't watching it, would say "You should. You would LOVE it!"

So I did and I did!

We bought the first 3 series on blu-ray and watched them through quite quickly (understatement). Within one episode, I had completely bonded with the characters and their stories. I really enjoyed the "Britishness" of the show - quirky humour with a dark edge. One minute, you are laughing with George and Mitchell and the next they are ripping out your heart.

Sometimes, the characters literally ripped out hearts and other organs! And I loved this too. I am a 37 year old. An *cough* adult *cough* who grew up on Freddy and Pinhead. And dagnabbit I want to see adult programmes and films. And Being Human was that and not in the "15 year old boy's wet dream" True Blood sense of Adult. Being Human was adult in the "growed up" sense. It was intelligent, funny but violent. In fact, the werewolf transformation that George and Tom et al go through is so well done and the pain of it so realistic, it rivals the transformation in 'An American Werewolf in London'. The noises of the bones shifting and breaking along with the screams of Russell Tovey are chilling - have a look here (NSFW)

And now I've mentioned the 3 new characters (I know I didn't really but just go with it!) let me just say that I also loved them. I loved Hal's old fashioned sense of decorum, Alex's bravery and Tom's, well everything (it's the Midlands accent and those big, sad eyes!). I know a lot of people didn't like the change and let me just say that, if it had been these three from the beginning you would have loved them as much as you loved George, Mitchell and Annie. I know it wasn't and that is a shame but how brilliant were Hal, Tom and Alex in the last series??  I think my only regret with the final series was the fact that George, Mitchell and Annie didn't get that happy ending.

I truly appreciated the way in which all the characters were 'human' - trying to do their best and sometimes failing. Sometimes spectacularly. I, generally, am not that keen on shows where the characters don't fuck up. I like to see them learning and adapting, but ultimately trying to do what's 'right'. 

Isn't that what Being Human is?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment