Wednesday 30 October 2013

Moving Past Stereotypes

Sorry for the break - I've just not felt the spark to splurge forth any opinions, but this weekend I have been at a convention (Hallowhedon) with some of the bestest people and this has reignited my spark! As you can imagine, at a convention with lots of other TV fans, much was discussed over the weekend. One of the things that I did discuss was the use of stereotypes in writing and shows that I think have given us characters that move past this. 

I find stereotypes really frustrating. I know that they are based in reality (they have to come from somewhere right?) but I do get frustrated with the amount of writers that use them. I understand that sometimes, they HAVE to be used and can be used to change our views of a stereotype, but when it's every character in a show - that's not good. 

For me there have been 3 shows that have really gone past the use of stereotypes and given us well-rounded and believable characters. If you can think of any others, please comment.

Battlestar Galactica (2004 - 2009)

This was the first show that stands out to me as not using gender stereotypes. I think you could take out any of the actors and replace them with an actor of the opposite sex and very little would need to be changed. The characters are so well written and have not been attributed 'gender' characteristics that mean they are then tied to a particular sex. A female Gaius? No problem! A male Roslin? Go ahead!  

Spartacus (2010 - 2013)
Image from: http://images.wikia.com/spartacus/images/1/13/Bscap0011.jpg

The one area that BSG didn't really venture into was having many gay characters. Spartacus did and I dare you to say that any of them are stereotypes! From Agron and Nasir to Barca and Pietros, the show gave us a range of relationships. In a poll of the Top 50 Greatest Gay TV characters, thebacklot.com recently placed Agron at number 5, describing him as a "breath of fresh air". But the beauty for me was that any of the heterosexual relationships could have been changed to a gay relationship and vice versa. Because the characters are not stereotypes in any way (gender, sexuality, etc), they can be played by men or women, gay or straight. The only restrictions placed on the characters are possible historical restrictions given by the time period of the show. This felt like the first time a show genuinely saw past the sexuality of the character.


Scandal (2012 - )

One of the final frontiers of US TV seems to be having actors and actresses of colour playing leads, as it seems that the networks have believed for so long that audiences would not watch these shows.

And then there was Scandal with the enigmatic Kerry Washington in the lead. 

The characters in Scandal represent a range of ethnicities and not a one of them is a stereotype. For this reason, any of the actors, could be taken out and another actor of both a different colour and gender could play that role. It is superbly written. But one of the triumphs of the show has been to have a storyline involving 2 of the main characters in a relationship that clearly has implications due to the colour of their skin, but to never really directly mention it. The writers treat the audience with respect, not like idiots.

(I've got a feeling that as it grows, Sleepy Hollow may well fit in to this category too!)

This just goes to show, write characters, not stereotypes and the audience will love them. Makes me wonder if that is why some shows that we expect to do well, aren't??

 

4 comments:

  1. I would say Buffy was the first. Maybe not fully in the way that you mean, that any character could have been swapped for the opposite sex. But the whole concept of the character was to turn a particular stereotype on its head and it did it from episode one. The little dumb blonde who is stupid enough to walk down the dark alley and get killed by the monster turns out to be the hero of the show. The very first episode of Buffy saw this happen twice. This is set up in the very first scene of the very first episode when the poor defenseless blonde turns out to be the big bad vampire.Then later in the episode Buffy actually lures the big bad into the alley so she can kick his ass.
    I would also say it was the first US TV series that treated a gay couple as a relationship rather than as a "gay relationship". The evolving of the love between Willow and Tara was so beautiful and natural and their first on screen kiss was handled so well and not a big deal or a huge reveal. Just the most natural thing that would happen in that situation. Of course, Buffy was not on a cable channel so couldn't do what Spartacus did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about Buffy turning stereotypes on their heads and the way i which they dealt with the relationship between Willow and Tara. I chose not to mention Buffy cos it tends to be my answer to any question about good TV shows :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with both of you on Buffy and I understand why you didn't mention it (I have the same 'problem'). I also would like to mention Revenge (have you seen it?). I just watched the latest ep and everytime I watch it I think that most of the character's are 'evil', but not in a black and white way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like characters like that because you never know where they are going. I liked Lindsay in Angel for that reason. That to me is most like real life because no-one is good or bad all of the time and Joss seems to get that really well.

    ReplyDelete