Thursday 2 May 2013

The Swindle Hypothesis

I don't watch The Big Bang Theory. I've tried, several times, but just can't get into it. I think this is because . . . .

THEY'RE CONNING US

The show always seems to be laughing AT nerds, not WITH them. I recently saw some of an episode in which Penny (Kaley Kuoco) became addicted to playing online games. She stopped washing, going to work and doing her hair (one joke played on the fact that she had cheetos stuck in her bird-nest like 'do'). What is this saying about the show's writer's opinions of gamers?

Think of all the characters in the show. Then think of the stereotypes of nerds. Now think of the all the characters in the show again. See what I mean?

I have to applaud the writers of this show for this feat. They've managed to create a show that points fun at the very people that sit watching. And then, they've managed to cast certain guest stars who are well known sci fi genre actors!! 

*slow claps*

This is just my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. The first couple of series had me in stitches. As time goes on it just seems to get less funny. As you say, they're spending more time laughing *at* geeks/nerds than laughing with. The characters have all become slightly *more* one-dimensional the longer it goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree its very clever in how it does things. I find some parts very funny, and others I just find a bit rude.

    There is an early episode where they invite Penny to join them in playing a game, and she says "Or I could just have a life." Or words to that effect. I just couldn't help thinking how rude that was of her, no matter what she thought about what they were doing. There are moments like that throughout the series which I find just give it a sour note at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does seem to me (as I have no emotional connection with the characters, I can maybe see it without any emotional bias) that it really does just laugh at them now.

    ReplyDelete