Saturday 20 April 2013

Adults Only

Last night, I was dragged taken to the cinema by my husband to see the new film Evil Dead. Don't get me wrong, horror is one of my favourite genres. The reason for my lack of enthusiasm for this particular horror was twofold:

1. Getting a little bit sick of remakes.
2. Getting a lot sick of 15 rated films.

I understand the logic behind 15 rated horror and action films and I have enjoyed many of these offerings - in particular The Cabin In The Woods and the Paranormal Activity films. 
Image from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhead_%28Hellraiser%29

But I grew up in a time of Freddie Krueger, Pinhead and Jason. 

A time of proper, bloody, 18 rated, adult films. And not just horror films. Action films too, such as Die Hard, which I recently rewatched. It wasn't until said rewatch that I realised quite how much I am missing 18 rated films. Go and rewatch the first Die Hard, then watch the latest in the franchise and you will see what I mean.

The assumption by the studios that teens are the only demographic with the disposable income to spend at the cinema is insulting and galling. 

And this is why I am so glad to see the return of the 18 rated horror film in Evil Dead. This film is by no means perfect but I found myself engrossed in it. It is tense, grippingly so. Jane Levy in the main role is fantastic and proves her ability to carry the lead in a film as she has proven that she can carry the lead in a tv comedy in Suburgatory. It is beautifully shot, with the use of camera angles adding to the tension. They have managed to add in some backstory to the characters without making it schmalzy - not an easy thing methinks. It also had several nods to fans of the original, including Sam Raimi's Oldsmobile, without excluding newcomers.

I would like to think that Evil Dead being released with an 18 rating in the UK and hopefully being a commercial success will herald a change. 

And so, I would ask you to go and see this film. Make the studios aware that are people over the age of 18 in the world. 

Yippeekayay Motherfucker!

No comments:

Post a Comment